Business Consultancy: Corporate Services
Advalus provide a multi-displinary approach to business consultancy which enables our clients to choose from the following services:
Business Case Development
Creation and development of Business Cases (BCs) across the lifecycle (in accordance with prevailing Government policy - including Treasury Green Book and Managing Public Money guidance- and following the 5 case model approach;
- Strategic Outline Programme Case (SOP), Strategic Outline Project Case (SOC), Outline Business case (OBC) and Full Business Cases (FBS), plus other cases as negotiated on bespoke basis with HMT
- We can create and develop the BC itself, plus all required supporting information, including:
- Strategic Case - development of arguments, papers and briefs etc setting out the case for change, with information notes and briefing notes to support.
- Economic Case - creation of Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA), Benefit Realisation Plan (BRP), Investment Appraisal (IA) and Options analysis (long list, selection criteria, recommendation), VFM Assessment, Sensitivity analysis, Distributional Analysis Optimism Bias or Risk analysis.
- Commercial Case - Procurement options analysis, Risk transfer assessment, service requirements, paymech, contract risk issues, key negotiation aspects and TUPE obligations and considerations.
- Financial Case - Cost forecasts (current/nominal), Analysis of sources and uses of funding, affordability assessment across CDEL/RDEL/IND-RDEL analysis, balance sheet impact analysis, accounting implications.
- Management Case - Governance and structuring risk assessment, Organisational risk analysis, project plans, recruitment plans, contingency/fallback options.
Advalus can provide the support required to develop capability at the organisation wide, programme, project team, clusters, and individual level;
- Our process includes the following:
- Capability Gap Analysis and Redesign (mapping 'To Be' against 'As Is').
- Identification and creation of capability development strategies.
- Training Needs Analysis.
- Tools and methods analysis and delivery plan.
- Training Design.
- Training deployment.
- Evaluation and Quality Assurance.
Change & Transformation Management
- Current Baseline / Evidence of Need /Systematic evidence based reviews.
- Analysis of key factors and constraints (people, assets, technology, processes, innovation, market threats)
- Case for Change (assessment /evaluation/ design/ prioritisation / stakeholders).
- Planning and change management control / supervision process /resource.
- Achieving the journey – management & results.
- Agile, Waterfall delivery techniques and specialists.
- Stakeholders -ensuring that business partners are bound into and support the proposed changes.
- Feasibility and Options Assessment (including Cost Benefit and Investment Appraisal of development /restructuring options).
- Procurement and Industrial Strategy re Third Parties.
- Improvement programmes; cost reductions, efficiency improvements, enhancing outputs, scaling options.
- Assessment of internal capabilities (people, systems, tech, IP, funding) and advice on value-driven reconfigurations.
- Assessment and design of delivery structure (governance and executive, project delivery teams).
- Sustainability and legal risk assessments: legal requirements vs funding sources.
- Procurement and project delivery support.
- Commercial negotiation.
- Business Case / Approvals support.
- Through life reviews / enhancements.
Corporate and Operational Planning
- Creation of corporate plans at all levels; Strategic Plan: Tactical Plan: and Operational Plan
- Development of the Operational Plan across the business units, and Divisions
- Flow down of plans to projects and BAU activities at detailed level to ensure full strategic alignment
- Support includes all planning, management products and documentation including:
- team structures, recruitment and training plans
- dissemination and alignment of strategic outcomes to tactical and operational activities
- budgets and plans to secure investment
Forecasting, Planning and Strategy
- Strategic assessment of forecasting capability and risks, recommendations to enhance capability.
- Development of detailed, dynamic forecasts across a range of data - including demand volumes, infrastructure, financial performance and related outputs.
- Detailed models created with full dynamic flexibility, and associated Master Data and Assumptions Lists (MDAL).
- Linking forecasting to operational plans in a dynamic way to test alignment and sensitivity.
- Review/critique/creation of organisational strategy.
- As Is and To Be Assessment of People, Capability Gaps and Opportunities.
- Assessment of Process/Technology Gaps and Opportunities.
- Stakeholder and shareholder liaison / management.
- Management of the whole change process - from definition of Strategy/Outcomes, through delivery and restructure, into continual improvement phase.
Policy Development, Advice and Review
- Systematic approach to Policy analysis and advice (scoping, problem definition, evaluation criteria, identification and evaluation of alternatives, to select preferred).
- SWOT / PEST analysis on policy evidence base(s), and advice on addressing evidence deficit(s).
- Design and implementation of policy review processes to assure effectiveness (ongoing review cycle).
Programme and Project Management
- Reinforce programme management structures through introduction of relevant Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) into specific roles, as a team, or as advisory support to the customer’s own PMO structure.
- Deliver or support specific project management tasks; eg risk management, benefit management, stakeholder engagement, approvals management.
- Provide a mix of expertise to ensure coherence between the generic management, technical /delivery management, commercial management, security, and financial / business analyst aspects
- Introduce transparency and evidence-based reporting; to be clear on actual progress and performance / delivery risk.
- Experts are established programme management practitioners (MSP, PRINCE 2, Agile etc) to ensure alignment with client preferences on methods etc.
Business and Disaster Recovery
- Development of a Disaster Recovery (DR) plan, including:
- critical function map - tracing outcomes back to inputs, and identifying critical junctures, processes, people, systems (SW and HW) and data.
- identification /assessment of DR risk - setting out the potential threats and forms of contingency required.
- tailored response plans; using a combination of the critical function mapping and risk assessment to develop a series of specific mitigation/response plans.
- development and communication of plans - working with the organisation to refine, communicate and encourage understanding of the DR plans.
- Linkage of the established DR plans into the overall Business Continuity Management (BCM) systems.
- Deployment of Continuity Planning and Business Continuity Management (BCM) across a range of capabilities and outputs (organisational , resourcing, ICT, financial planning, operational planning, security, project continuity)
- Design and construct Business Continuity Plans (BCP) in the context of best practice, regulations and accreditation bodies - with graded risk assessments and recommendations
- Each plan includes and is supported by:
- full risk assessment.
- business impact analysis.
- development of 1 or more reversion plans.
- testing plan.
- training plan.
- software/tools/methodolgoy recommendations.
- Competition and Markets.
- UK & International law, public policy and regulatory implications.
- Business case evidence formulation.
- Contract and Procurement Design.
- Dispute Support.
- User dynamics and pricing.
- Technology and Impacts.
Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Market analysis and assurance (sectoral, customers, competitors, emergent/disruptors).
- Capability analysis and assurance (talent, technology, pipeline, constraints).
- Brand/positional analysis and assurance.
- Financial, Tax and Accounting analysis.
- Risk assessment.
- Development of JV structures and alliance options - balancing risks, opportunities, timescales and commitment.
- Development of recommendation and implementation plans / playbooks.
- Development of financing and structuring recommendation.
- Identifying exit options and mitigation strategies.
- Negotiation / Implementation to maximise value.
Restructuring Mergers, Acquisitions and Disposals
- Strategy / Business Case / Evidential support.
- External analysis - markets, assets, technologies, personnel, IP and innovation.
- Identification of funding/ investment sources/options as required, risk assessment and recommendations.
- Advice on restructuring businesses and assets, finances and corporate structures: in preparation for M&A or disposals.
- Assessment of potential counterparties and support/ supply chains to identify correct target/buyer in line with strategic ambitions.
- Provide specialists in rules, regulations and taxation implications.
Outsourcing / Insourcing Advice
- Outsourcing advisory:
- Market Analysis and macro trends assessment.
- Specialist Risk analysis.
- Options assessment and economic value analysis.
- Contract structuring and advice.
- Reporting / Presentation / Stakeholders.
- In-sourcing advisory:
- Target operating modelling (including Organisational structure design, Job profiling and expert modelling for Resource, Technology and process design).
- Risk identification and mitigation (critical functions, control risks).
- Compliance management.
- HR, Talent and Recruitment plans.
- Day 1 / through life implementation plans.
- Procurement strategy for options assessment and selection.
- Supply chain management.
- Contract management.
- Support and CIPs / Legal specialists advice provided at all stages of the programme /project lifecycle.
Risk and Opportunity Management
- Organisational / Programme level Risk Assessment and Management - scoping, data collection, exposure analysis, ongoing evaluation.
- Stakeholder liaison (workshops, board presentations and approvals).
- Detailed Risk and Opportunity (Identification / Modelling and Forecasting).
- Risk valuation/cost forecasting (incl. 3 point estimating and risk/uncertainty 'spread' modelling).
- Monte Carlo analysis and modelling.